Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekend June 6 & 7

Saturday we went back to UTown for some things that may or may not be needed. We looked at MP3 players, camera tripods and other things. It was okay but it was just a part of the Saturday plans. Typically, Saturday and Sunday are days to do something, perhaps not a whole lot but at least get out for awhile. If nothing else, it provides the time necessary to get the rooms cleaned by the cleaning crew at the Chateau. So we typically leave the Chateau around 10:30 and return after 2:30. We walk a lot and which helps us become more familiar with the area (without looking lost). Last weekend, we found Suzhou Park so sometimes a routine visit turns into more if you take a turn down a different street and try a slightly different route to go from Point A to Point B.

Anyhow, I brought along a pair of pants that are part of the standard uniform for the employees that work out in the manufacturing plant. I liked the outfit and asked for the clothes and was given them. Unfortunately, the size options for the pants were Small, Medium, Large, XL, etc. (I think you get the idea). I was originally given an XL for both the polo shirt and the pants…think about that for a moment. I haven’t put on any weight since I’ve been here so I’m not sure how the XL choice was given but I had to consider the sizes of the Chinese folks and try and think in their terms. I turned both back in for Large shirt and pants (I know I’m huge but my frame isn’t that much different from the locals). The shirt fits ok but an XL would probably have been better. As for the pants, the length is okay but the waist is too large (I know you’re jealous right). So I could not wear the pants unless I wanted to look very odd with the belt causing the pants to fold around my waist (very flattering). So I decided to take them to a tailor. I’ve heard good things about one specific tailor near UTown and so off we went. I carried the pants with me so I could leave them to be fixed (Earth to Captain Obvious…Come in please). I went into the shop and indicated the problem (waist too big). Now the shop (I know, I should’ve taken photos) was a small front area with yards and yards of fabric on display shelves along the walls. They had some coats hanging and examples of their work on display as well but otherwise, it was a pretty barren place. It seemed somehow different than I imagined. The lady understood my issue with the pants and asked me to put them on to show the issue so she took me to the back hall and closed the door and I changed out of my shorts into the pants. No dressing room, just a hallway to the back of the shop. I felt kind of exposed and somehow I expect a video of the hallway to show up on the web (skinny foreigner trying on pants….that’s it, reach for the belt, no, keep the shoes on, oooohh baby). So I wear the pants out and the guy takes a few quick measurements and I’m done. So then it’s back to changing again (that’ll be another $5 for the next show please). So they ask for my phone number and I pay and I’m outta there until next weekend when I will pick up the pants. 30 RMB to get the waist fixed, not a big deal. No name, address, just a few notes on the slip of paper and that’s it. I’d better not lose that or I’m out of luck.

More interesting is the short discussion I had with the lady before I left. I asked if they made shirts or pants right there in the shop. She indicated that I would just need to bring a sample (actual piece or photo) and they would make whatever I needed. So I can take a photo in of a shirt or pants that I like (even a puffy pirate shirt) and they’ll take the appropriate measurements and make something for me. Not just off the rack purchasing but something tailored to me. I choose the fabric and bingo. Not that it’ll turn me into a movie star or something (how about an Elvis jumpsuit with all the rhinestones) but it seems odd. I know, that’s what a tailor is right (Come in Captain Obvious)? What’s the big deal? Perhaps it’s not a big deal, I’ve been sheltered and never used a tailor much before so I find it interesting (the only timed I can remember is when we would get suits growing up, so it was still find a suit and just have them fit it to you, not make it from the fabric up). I know that other Expats here have used these tailors to make suits, wedding gowns, etc. for a very cheap price so this should not surprise me but it just does. The more I thought about it afterwards, the more it makes sense to get the clothes tailor made versus off the rack, especially if the price is equal. With the differences in sizing for clothes, shoes, etc. it might be more difficult to find clothes that fit so perhaps using the tailor will be the “normal” thing to do.

Sunday, we took a trip to see Shangtang Street; a combination historic street along with a generous amount of shopping built in. Check out the photos for more on this area. There were some excellent shops contained in this area with very good quality merchandise, some very expensive (even by Western standards). The most interesting thing today was the farmer’s market. We saw fresh fish, eels, frogs, snakes, geese, chickens, shrimp, small “lobsters” and pheasants all for sale. These animals were still alive and kicking so it was almost a freak show, how much can you take looking at the ducks knowing that if you give the nod….WHACK…they’re done. You had the power of Tony Soprano without the pressure from the Feds. This was something I wanted to see all along but we never were able to find it but today, we found it. You wonder about the animals and begin to understand how a rogue virus gets a foothold in the population and jumps from species to species. All of the animals (and people) were in very tight quarters so any sneeze from one gets spread amongst the many very rapidly. It’s almost scary to think about while you are walking about snapping photos and looking like the typical Western tourist. Wearing the dumb masks like many do here won’t do anything about the virus but washing your hands is a really good practice here. Carry your own hand sanitizer at all times, along with tissue paper because you never know if you’ll find out when it’s too late in the local restrooms. The Boy Scout “always be prepared” is a good creed to have here. I carry a small backpack everywhere we go just to keep drinks, tissues, insect repellent, etc. It’s the AMEX of China….don’t leave home without it. Enjoy the photos and keep checking back in. Have a good one.

No comments: