Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Speaking of speaking

So think about this, how many times during the day do you use metaphors or odd phrases like "the pot calling the kettle black"? I have found myself trapped too many times here when I use an everyday phrase in the States that just doesn't register here. As an example, I was doing a presentation yesterday (off topic but I asked for feedback from some that attended and I'm not sure I received the feedback on if the presentation was okay or what I needed to do to improve...some barriers remain) and one of my slides contained the phrase "walk the walk". A very common phrase right? After the presentation I had one person ask me what that meant. Hmmm, it means to do what you tell others to do. Act out and demonstrate your principles that you have told others that you have. If you say you love dogs, don't be seen kicking the dog (even if it deserved it). To me, I thought this phrase was okay to use and I actually did try to indicate what it meant but I obviously failed in my attempt. Other things, when talking about safety, the phrase "in the line of fire" was also questioned. Unfortunately for me, sometimes I get stumped by these questions which are not on the topic at hand but on something totally "from left field" (DOH! Another phrase to explain!). I had to indicate to him that this is a phrase describing putting yourself at risk by being between the shooter and the target (I know it was a bad example but it's what I came up with after the "Ummms" were over). When I get asked, I have to really think about how to explain it almost like I am talking to a child (it sounds bad but it's really what it is like). Find a simple method to explain this or they are thinking in their mind about a literal line of fire. Why is there a line of fire and who is going to put it out? How come he doesn't talk about fire safety when he just said there is a line of fire?
How about this one, we have to "cover our butts". Think about this for a moment, what does this mean to someone that doesn't fully understand the language? He was just talking about taking measurements and putting them into a database and now he wants to cover his butt. Why? I don't see his butt, he is wearing pants. What will he use to cover his butt (I know some are now saying, "But Scott, you don't have a butt", I know that, let's just move on please)? Should I cover my butt? What has this got to do with quality? I'm telling you, it's hard not to use the phrases and metaphors we have come to just throw into every conversation.
I walked around the plant and was joking with Gary and told him that he "carried the big stick". He didn't understand and asked me what it meant. I told him it meant that he had the power and the authority to use it. I could've just said that but instead I used a phrase that would be understood in the US. How about "talking a blue streak", you think they understand that? They treat us "like a red-headed stepchild", what about that one? "Can't find his butt with both hands".....I'll bet that paints a pretty picture.
"Dumber than a box of rocks"
"Runs like a scalded dog" (oh wait, that's me that doesn't understand that one)
"Fox guarding the hen house"
"Eyes bigger than his belly"
It even comes in with some things we grew up with; think about this. Do the Chinese know who the Tidy Bowl man is? How about Bert and Ernie? It's a totally different experience growing up for us than them, different shows and different themes. This is why it can be very difficult to communicate effectively if you utilize things from your experiences. I really have to focus more on the words I use rather than just speak. I understand that I talk fast and I've deliberately tried to slow down my pace of speaking but it's more difficult than it sounds. When I talk slow I feel like the Chariots of Fire theme is playing (oh, I'll bet that one would be missed as well) and I'm doing the slow motion shot. After the presentation, I was told I talk too fast. Darnit, I've got to go now to super-slow motion....I won't be able to stand it. But it's not up to them to adapt to me (I'm just a very small fish in a big pond......argh!), I've got to adapt to them and make them understand. It's a steep learning curve so I've got my work cut out for me....I mean, it's a tough row to hoe.....Rats!
It's just another day in the big city and something I have to keep in the back of my mind (did it again). Next time you are talking, see how many times you find yourself using a phrase that might be difficult for someone who would take it very literally to understand. Then think about references you might use in talking with people that come from TV shows or magazines. It's a trap that I have to get out of, as well as contractions...those gotta go too!
Anyhow, I posted some pictures from the Canglang Pavilion (aka Surging Waves Pavilion), take a look and enjoy. Brossie and I took a day to go to the Confucius Temple and then to the pavilion. I had already posted the pictures from Confucius so I didn't add anything there. I'll do a review of that pavilion and I still owe the notes from the North Temple. I'll post again soon, I've been slacking off but I'll get back on the horse (did it again) and get back to posting more often. You'll like reading my posts or my name isn't Orville Redenbacker...I mean, I gar-ron-tee...ah, to heck with it, Good night John Boy.

No comments: