Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Name That Flavor

Another photo and another guessing game. I'll take name that flavor for $500 Alex. This is a box of Oreo cookies we picked up at Wal-Mart here in Suzhou. We know it's Oreos, note the Kraft mark in the upper left hand corner. These were called "Ice Cream Flavored" on the side panel. Our thinking a) it's an Oreo cookie....how bad can that be? B) It's called ice cream flavor...again Oreos & Ice Cream, a good combination. C) It's a green color with little green leaves out of the ice cream dish. I know I'm leading the witness here but what flavor would you guess this to be?
Unless you somehow picked green tea, you are completely wrong (and if you picked green tea you need to get checked out because you are on the verge of a breakdown). That's right folks, green tea ice cream flavored oreos! For whatever reason, I'm thinking mint Oreos, mmmm, mmm. However, once a bite was taken my joy rapidly faded as the realization hit me that I had been fooled again by my Western ideas of food. (Shame on me) I'll call it my "Western goggles" (similar to beer goggles but not exactly the same). I see the packaging and read it to be what I would expect based on my experiences. Instead, I should look at the packaging with great skepticism and determine what the Chinese would eat (WWCE, What Would the Chinese Eat...and the answer is just about anything). If I had thought about it in that manner, I might have not taken the chance to purchase these but you live and learn (or perhaps I'll never learn). So they have fooled me with gum and now cookies, what else do these fiendish people have out there waiting for me (my kingdom for a mint Oreo)? Only time will tell. Oh, and just so you know, Warren really didn't like the flavor either but he ate them (big surprise).


No comments: