Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dora_II

Day 2 begins in relative calm compared to the quagmire that started Day 1. The kids finding out they didn’t have a key to the apartment just when they are exiting (of course, if I had not asked, they would’ve found out when they returned home…it might have been a good lesson for them as they sat out in the hallway waiting for me to come home from work). Using my calm demeanor and superior focus in times of crisis (yes that’s right, I yelled at them…sue me!), I explained the ramifications of the situation as I quickly packed a lunch and we all headed out in the rain to grab a taxi to drop them off at school and then take me to work. It wasn’t pretty because when it rains, the cabs are few and far between as their business picks up when people don’t want to ride the bikes to work and get soaked.

I came home from work and found the kids in the normal position, Jacob sprawled out with headphones in playing his computer games, Warren doing homework on the other seat. They had started the laundry (meaning he had pressed the “On” button) and had their clothes washing. Dinner was leftovers or instant noodle bowls because I had to go to Chinese class. I told Warren to use both dryers since the clothes wouldn’t dry out in the rain (I know I should not have had to explain this but since they only hear about 2 out of every 10 words, I have to be sure they understand). After class, it was snack, brush teeth and bedtime for the kids. I continued to wash clothes but since our dryers are really bad (takes about 1 hour to dry a pair of underwear) I had to shuffle what was being dried and hang some less important items to dry today. I also started a second load of laundry since I had a chance. No chance I would get it in the dryer but I could at least get it ready for morning. I played my Xbox game and then went to bed after my wife decided she didn’t want to talk to me (actually she had a long day “backpacking” and didn’t make it back to the hotel until very late).

So this morning, it’s still raining and I use my lightning-quick verbal reflexes to “discuss” with my children why they should take the small umbrella. Eventually my superior argument wins the day! (meaning they didn’t have a choice) I give them a small plastic bag to put the umbrella into their bookbags so it doesn’t get everything wet. I left it to them to decide who would carry this cumbersome load (you will, no you will, I don’t want the stupid thing, I don’t care, I’m not carrying it….) and then put the plastic bag into Jacob’s backpack. It was at this time that I discovered that he had his PE outfit in his bag. Was this the same PE outfit that I had placed on the rack to dry last night??? One touch and there was no denying it…it was the same one. It wasn’t wringing wet but it sure bordered on very damp. “Jacob (I say with my normal compassion), why didn’t you tell me you needed this today?” I don’t know (ah yes, the old familiar refrain that covers all questions that you don’t want to answer). “It’s wet (in my concerned voice, the old you’ll catch a cold thing)” I don’t care (and so it ends). Okay, enjoy running around in your wet pants, let everyone know your pants were wet before you went to basketball practice or maybe they’ll think you had an accident. Then I threw them out to go and catch the bus. I should’ve told him to put on his PE clothes and he wouldn’t need the umbrella but sometimes the enlightened banter from a teenager temporarily stuns me into silence (something like listening to members of Congress).

So day 2 begins with less excitement but just as much fun. Tonight I’ll have to try and cook something for dinner so I’ll let you know how that works out.

No comments: